Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Hard work is wise.

A slack hand causes poverty, but the hand of the diligent makes rich. 

Proverbs 10:4


My dad was fond of saying a modern day version of this proverb: "a little hard work never hurt anybody." And he lived it. He worked physically demanding jobs, loading freight and driving trucks, until his back was a mess. But I never really heard him complain much about providing for his home in this way. It was a diligence that fed, clothed, and housed us all.


I'm glad that I learned the value of daily diligence from my dad. He taught me a form of God-honoring discipline. I have never expected that anybody would just give me anything. I do not think that the world owes me a living. I must work hard and God will then provide.


Work existed before sin entered this world. Adam tended a garden with his hands in an unfallen creation. Only after he disobeyed God did work become difficult to do by the sweat of his brow. God had always intended that diligent hands work for His glory. Work is thus a good thing.

No comments: