Thursday, April 10, 2014

when accused

In return for my love they accuse me, but I give myself to prayer. So they reward me evil for good, and hatred for my love. 

Psalm 109:4-5


David was under the scrutiny and attacks of evil men when recording the words of this psalm. It could have been a snapshot taken at many points in his life, whether early in his service to Israel when running for his life from Saul, or later when running from the rebellious uprising led by his own son, Absalom. David knew the heartbreak of misunderstanding and the fear of persecution.


But David trusted God when accused and attacked. He said, "I give myself to prayer." The Hebrew is literally, "I am prayer". I like that. When under pressure, we should make our lives a constant prayer to The Lord. There is a peace and consistency that will pervade even the most perilous times of persecution when God's people pray.


I long to have David's heart. To make my life a prayer is to seek constant communion with God. And so I wish to be today.

No comments: